Saturday, April 21, 2007

Wilt the Stilt and Me!

I have a friend who used to put on baseball card shows. Merchants would bring in their memorabilia and their sports cards, and we traders would all show up and have a good time buying and selling and trading our sports memorabilia.

My friend would also get some sports stars to come in and sign autographs at the shows as an attraction to get more traffic to the shows. He asked me to sit with those stars while they were signing autographs. (I will tell more about how that came about in another post soon). My job was to make things easy for the star by getting the baseballs out of the boxes and the pictures out of plastic pages and just make things move smoothly. I also was to make sure that folks only got the number of autographs for which they had tickets.

I got to meet a lot of high-profile stars over the years, and I will tell more about them in days to come. One of the fellows I met was Wilt Chamberlain. It was shortly after his book income out that told about some of his multitude of encounters with the opposite sex.

His autograph session was three hours, and we talked about a lot of things in between the signings. We hit it off pretty well actually. Wilt was due back the next day for another session, and I was to be back to work, so we thought we would see each other.

The next morning when I got to the show, my friend asked if I would be willing to sit with the ladies from the All-American Girls League. I was happy to do that, and we have a great day together. But their session overlapped the session when Wilt was to be signing. When Wilt came in he was introduced to the man who would be sitting with him for the session that day. He asked my friend, "where's Ralph?" My friend pointed across the room to where I was studies over there with those three women from the baseball Hall of Fame.

Wilt's response to my buddy was, "that's my kind of guy!"




Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to Hot Corner Has Been



No comments: