Monday, March 16, 2009

I-Rod to Houston!

I have watched the Houston Astros throughout their history. The one position for which they have never raised a star player is catcher (I know Biggio began as a catcher). The best catchers have been Brad Ausmus and Alan Ashby. Neither was much of an offensive threat. I am in hopes that the young man the ‘Stros drafted last year out of Stanford, Jason Castro, will be that star catcher we have been waiting for for all these years.

Today it was announced that the Astros have reached an agreement for a one-year contract with Ivan Rodriguez. He is one of the top catchers of all time. And I believe he will add more offense to the lineup than the departed Ausmus, even though I-rod is well past his prime. Perhaps it was a marketing move based on the horrendous record of the team in Spring Training. I hope Ivan can stay healthy for the season and have a renaissance season that makes the move a remarkable one.




Baseball Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory


Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to Hot Corner Has Been



1 comment:

Cool Papa said...

Pudge's experience behind the plate alone makes it a pickup for a year. he still has a year or two with the bat so at least for awhile, assuming he stays health you will get some pop from behind the plate.

go phils