Thursday, August 30, 2007

Like Old Times At the Ball Park

I took three of my grandchildren to the ball game at Minute Maid Park in Houston today. Before the game we went down to the rail near right field, while the Cardinals were taking batting practice. I used to do that with my girls and they frequently were able to persuade a player to give them a ball.

This afternoon a ball came to rest about 25 feet from where we were standing. A Cardinal with Flores on the back of his jersey came over to retrieve it. My 7 year old grandson shouted, "Mr Flores, would you throw me the ball, please?" Flores, a relief pitcher, I think, tossed the ball to the boy, who shouted, "Thank you sir."

A few minutes later one of the Astros' rookie pitchers, Chris Sampson, came down the rail signing autographs. As he approached us, another ball came to rest about 6 feet from us. When Sampson got to us, my 11 year old granddaughter asked him very sweetly, "Mr Sampson, would you mind giving me that ball, and signing it for me?" He could not resist. It sure reminded me of her mother 35 years ago.

So did the 2-1 pitcher's duel. That is the kind of game we saw all the time in the Astrodome!



Baseball Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory


Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to Hot Corner Has Been



No comments: