Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Greatest Child in the World

I have written a few blogs regarding becoming a grandparent and one or two about building a family history and a sense of belonging by telling stories. Today I want to tell one of my favorites.

The evening our daughter called to announce that she was on the way to the hospital to deliver her first baby, I took my wife to the airport. She would fly to Amarillo from Houston, so she could be there for the delivery. I had bought her the ticket for her Christmas present, the announcement came on January 13.

After dropping her off, I proceeded to drive the 13 hours to the hospital to greet my new grand baby. When they put him in my arms, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that everything will be all right, I don't have to be worried, this one will carry on the family traditions and do important things in the world.

After a bit my son-in-law and I went to breakfast and then to their home so I could get a nap. Before I went to sleep, Mike came in and gave me a greeting card that he had been saving for this moment.

On the front it read "Isn't it amazing that the man who was unworthy of your daughter... When you opened it up, you read "is now the father of the GREATEST CHILD IN THE WORLD!"




Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to Hot Corner Has Been



No comments: