Friday, February 23, 2007

Beginning My Baseball Card Collection

My collection of sports collectibles is pretty extensive, especially of baseball related items. When I was a boy, I collected baseball cards , keeping them in shoe boxes and cigar boxes. When I left home for college, I gave my cards to my little brother, who loved baseball nearly as much as me. When he left home for college, he passed them on to the neighbor boy that idolized him. That boy moved to Kansas, presumably with all those cards from the 1950’s!

In 1984, I went to a baseball collectibles show that was being held in the Dome Skeller, a dining area in the outfield behind the fences of the Astrodome. I only bought one card that day, an Alan Ashby card for my daughter, who thought he was cute! But I met an old acquaintance who was selling baseball cards. I stopped by to see him a few days later, in his shop. I bought a 1984 Donruss complete set. It was the start of a big hobby that has persisted till now!




Add to Technorati Favorites

Subscribe to Hot Corner Has Been



No comments: